Suhy Sibs

Suhy Sibs
TigerTom's 30th Birthday

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Then and Now


As she stares into my eyes, I am mesmerized by hers. They are the perfect almond shape, so much like her mothers, only better, because I can see her future potential in those eyes. All of her achievements, successes, relationships, careers, children, travels, etc. To me, she can accomplish anything...and everything I never had the courage to. Her eyes are strong and intelligent, and she possesses in them a severely unique beauty. Her gifts are boundless and my job is to show that to her.

She giggles, flashing me a smile and I am reminded of the rows of perfect white teeth that I have passed on to her. The first impression teeth to go along with amazing full red lips that will tell someone in the first glance if they can relate to her... future employers...her soul mate...the director of her Oscar winning movie...

Slowly she traces her finger the contours of my face. I smile at the gentle touch of her finger. Does she realize that with every line traced, she is duplicating the curves of her own oval face? I wonder in that moment if she is aware of the awesome gift of genes her mother has passed on to her. And then...
"Mommy, you are so old." she says happily, as if that were such a funny occurrence.
"Why do you say that?" I am stunned. Insulted, in this sanctuary where I have always been thought of as a goddess...was that real? Perhaps in my mind only.
"Because you have a LOT of lines on your face."
"Honey, I am older than you, but I don't have a LOT of lines on my face."
"Yes you do, like Grandma's. You have them here," she traces four lines across my forhead. "And here," two lines down the sides of my mouth, "here" a deeper line under each of my eyes, "and here and here," many tiny lines are traced along the corners of my almond shaped eyes.




No comments:

Post a Comment